The Crescent-News went along with Duane Van Valkenburg, Defiance, recently when he visited the USS Midway Museum in San Diego, Calif. Van Valkenburg was attending the reunion of three sister ships — the USS Midway, USS Coral Sea and USS Roosevelt which took place May 6-9. There were 530 people at the reunion banquet including two plank owners, which means they were the first aboard the ship when built. One was 99 and the other 102 years old. Van Valkenburg was on the USS Midway in 1952.
- Cooling centers to open across Defiance County
- Local man acquitted of setting fire to home
- Animal shelter study moving along
- Legion baseball: Bandits start district tourney in style
- One dead in two-vehicle crash
- Crash on Ohio 15
- Area resident Lucky for Life
- Despite city offer, water merger moves ahead
Find a local business
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.