In conjunction with the 225th anniversary of the building of Fort Defiance, the Andrew L. Tuttle Memorial Museum will present a series of programs this summer based upon several historical figures, who either served under Gen. Anthony Wayne or were stationed at Fort Defiance.
The free program will take place on the site of Fort Defiance at 7 p.m. June 20. Bring your lawn chairs or be prepared to sit on the grass; a tent will be available in case of inclement weather. The event is sponsored by the Andrew L. Memorial Museum as a part of the anniversary of the fort, Aug. 8, 1794. Several new Fort Defiance related displays are planned for the celebration at the museum.
A 1794 period living history encampment at the fort grounds will take place 10 a.m.-5 p.m. the weekend of Aug. 10-11. The Andrew L. Memorial Museum is located at 514 W. Third St., Defiance. Hours for the museum are from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. each Thursday and 1-4 p.m. the first Sunday of each month.
The first subject will be Lt. William Clark of the famed Lewis and Clark Expedition. The program will focus on Clark’s military career prior to the expedition. Born Aug. 1, 1770, William, brother of the famed Revolutionary War hero George Rogers Clark, joined the Kentucky militia at the age of 19, rising to the rank of ensign. Clark participated in the early 1790s Wabash Indian campaigns of Kentucky Generals Scott and Wilkinson.
In 1793, William was commissioned a first lieutenant, and placed in charge of a company of riflemen in the Fourth Sub-Legion of Wayne’s Western Army. Clark and his unit took part in the building of Wayne’s chain of frontier forts including Fort Defiance. Clark participated in Wayne’s victory over the Indian Confederation at the battle of Fallen Timbers, Aug. 20, 1794.
In 1795, Meriwether Lewis joined Anthony Wayne’s forces as an ensign. Lewis had served with the Virginia militia during the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794, and would serve for a brief time in Lt. William Clark’s Chosen Rifle Company. Clark resigned his commission and retired from the army July 1, 1796. The pair would be reunited in 1803 by President Thomas Jefferson.