HOLGATE — A potential source of E. coli contamination was found in Holgate's water source on Monday. The bacteria can make consumers sick and are a concern for people with weakened immune systems.
Holgate residents are advised not to drink the water without boiling it first. Bring all village water to a boil for at least one minute. Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes and food preparation until further notice. Boiling kills the bacteria and other organisms in the water.
The village is investigating and taking the necessary steps to correct the problem.