Marathon bombing victim Jeff Bauman back to work


NASHUA, N.H. -- The man whose photograph became an iconic image of the Boston Marathon bombings is back at work.

The Nashua Telegraph reports that 28-year-old Jeff Bauman returned to the Nashua, New Hampshire, Costco store this week, 14 months after the bombings that killed three people and injured about 260 others.

An Associated Press photo captured an ashen and bloodied Bauman being hustled away in a wheelchair by rescuers including a cowboy hat-wearing Carlos Arredondo. Bauman was later able to describe to police one of the two brothers accused of carrying out the attacks. He lost both his legs above the knee.

In a photo on the "Jeff Bauman - Boston Strong, True Patriot and Hero" Facebook page, a smiling Bauman is shown at Costco leaning on one cane.

Helicopter hard landing: The Indiana State Police say no one was injured when a helicopter made a hard landing in a field near an airport just outside Indianapolis. WRTV-TV reports two people walked away from the crash, which occurred about 10:30 a.m. Saturday following the aircraft's takeoff from Indianapolis Regional Airport in Hancock County. The airport is just east of Indianapolis. A photo posted on WISH-TV's website showed the helicopter on its side in a field.

Pope Francis keeps promise: Pope Francis journeyed Saturday to the heart of Italy's biggest crime syndicate, met the father of a 3-year-old boy slain in the region's drug war, and declared that all mobsters are automatically excommunicated from the Catholic Church. During his one-day pilgrimage to the southern region of Calabria, Francis comforted the imprisoned father of Nicola Campolongo in the courtyard of a prison in the town of Castrovillari. In January the boy was shot, along with one of his grandfathers and the grandfather's girlfriend, in an attack blamed on drug turf wars in the nearby town of Cassano all'Jonio. The pope expressed his horror and promised to visit the town.

Two-state pursuit: Police in New Hampshire say an unruly driver zapped with a stun gun during a traffic stop yanked out the barbs and fled, prompting a two-state pursuit. The fracas began after midnight Saturday in Salem when an officer pulled over 52-year-old Robert Zygarowski of Ellwood City, Pa. Police say he was uncooperative, and the officer shocked him. Police say Zygarowski pulled out the barbs, jumped in his car and sped away, beginning a chase that ended when his tire blew in Massachusetts. Police say Zygarowski climbed out of his car, charged at the officer and fled in the marked cruiser. Police say he later entered a gas station and announced he planned to shoot officers. The clerk called police, and Zygarowski was arrested. Zygarowski is jailed awaiting a Monday arraignment.

Attack in Benghazi: Gunmen in Libya attacked the port of the restive eastern city of Benghazi Saturday, firing wildly with small arms into the area for hours, a Libyan security official said. He said security forces and citizens blocked the city's surrounding roads after the attack, which left six people wounded. He said the attack was likely a reprisal by Islamist militiamen targeted by the forces of renegade Libyan Gen. Khalifa Hifter. Libya is scheduled to hold parliamentary elections on Wednesday, aimed to end a standoff between Islamist and non-Islamist political groups.

South Korean soldier kills comrades: A South Korean soldier killed five comrades Saturday night and wounded another five at the border with North Korea, a South Korean military official said. The army sergeant opened fire with a rifle at an outpost in Gangwon province, east of Seoul, an official at South Korea's Defense Ministry said. The official spoke on condition of anonymity, citing department rules.

Still missing: Rescuers on Mount Rainier in the state of Washington spent a third day Saturday searching for well-known, 70-year-old outdoors writer Karen Sykes, who hasn't been seen since she separated from her hiking partner on Wednesday. The National Park Service said six ground crews, including two dog teams, were combing an expanded search area near the Owyhigh Lakes Trail on Rainier's east side. Rescuers also searched by air. Sykes was reportedly working on a story when she and her partner encountered snow at about 5,000 feet. Her partner stayed as she went on, with the idea that they'd reconvene, but she never turned up. The partner, who made it safely back to the trailhead, reported her missing at 10:30 p.m. Wednesday. Sykes had adequate survival gear to camp overnight in an emergency, said Mount Rainier National Park spokeswoman Patti Wold.

Want to leave your comments?

Sign in or Register to comment.