Mayor has 'middle ground' on Cincinnati streetcar

AMANDA LEE MYERS Associated Press Published:

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Cincinnati's mayor has backed off his seemingly immovable stance to axe the city's $133 million streetcar project and says he's come up with a compromise.

Newly elected John Cranley said Thursday that he'll agree to finish the streetcar if supporters find a way to pay for the operating costs once it's online in 2016.

Cranley previously had vowed to get rid of the project if elected, even though it's in mid-construction.

Operating costs have been estimated to run $4 million annually but that number is considered fluid.

Streetcar supporter and councilwoman Yvette Simpson says it's a "gun-to-your-head ultimatum" but that it could be doable.

Streetcar supporter Ryan Messer, who is organizing an effort to put the issue before voters, called Thursday's move a positive "crack in the door."

Want to leave your comments?

Sign in or Register to comment.