COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio's attorney general is announcing new efforts to help victims of sexual assault, saying services for victims are lacking in the state.
Lawmakers at a Wednesday news conference being held by Mike DeWine also are expected to announce legislation to create a rape crisis program trust fund.
DeWine says a recently completed survey begun in May of last year found that 52 of Ohio's 88 counties do not offer comprehensive, direct services for sexual assault victims.
The announcement comes a few days after a judge convicted two high school football players of raping a 16-year-old girl in Steubenville (STOO'-behn-vihl) last summer.
DeWine said after the verdict that the problem is not limited to Steubenville, with sexual assaults happening every weekend across the country.