Florida health workers cleared after MERS exposure

Published:

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- All the health care workers who came into contact with a Saudi resident infected with the second confirmed MERS case in the U.S. have been cleared to return to work.

The Florida Department of Health previously said all had tested negative for the rare virus. Orlando Health spokeswoman Katie Dagenais said in a statement late Saturday that "out of an abundance of caution," all the workers were required to remain out of work for the virus' full 14-day incubation period.

Dagenais says 16 workers, including two doctors, were cleared Saturday at Dr. P. Phillips Hospital. She says seven workers, including one doctor, were cleared Monday at Orlando Regional Medical Center.

The patient arrived at Phillips on May 8. Three days earlier, the patient had visited Orlando Regional Medical Center.

Want to leave your comments?

Sign in or Register to comment.