Partial win for Penske in appeal

JENNA FRYER AP Auto Racing Writer Published:

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) -- Penske Racing celebrated a small victory when NASCAR's chief appellate officer issued a mixed ruling on penalties levied against the team. Most everything was upheld, but suspensions for seven key employees were reduced from six races to two.

Team owner Roger Penske said he was "very happy with the outcome" following John Middlebrook's decision.

"All of us have lost points, six, eight, 10, 12 for certain infractions over the years," Penske said. "I don't think this is something we worry about. Obviously we don't worry about it. But from my perspective, the key thing is to have our people back at the race track, operating in full control. If we're going to win, and be a leader and win a championship again, we've got plenty of time to do that."

NASCAR inspectors confiscated parts from the rear suspensions of the cars of defending champion Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano before the April 13 race at Texas. NASCAR alleged the parts were not approved, while Penske maintained the parts had been approved but the organization was applying them in a way that fell in a gray area of the rule book.

Penske still felt that way Tuesday: "I don't think we were confused. As we interpreted the rules, these are undefined areas."

Want to leave your comments?

Sign in or Register to comment.