Ohio fire marshal warns of fire risks in winter

Published:

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- The state fire marshal is warning Ohioans of the increased risk for home fires as temperatures fall and winter storms become more likely.

Ohio Fire Marshall Larry Flowers says the use of candles, heating sources and makeshift cooking methods when winter storms interrupt electric service can significantly increase fire risks. He says following simple safety precautions can reduce risks of fires and buildup of carbon monoxide fumes.

Flowers says kerosene heaters and space heaters should be kept away from anything combustible and oven ranges should never be used to heat homes.

Generators or other fuel-powered machines should only be used outside the home and never connected to power lines

Flowers also says that all electrical appliances should be placed in the off position if power goes out.