CHICAGO (AP) -- A Chicago man who died of cyanide poisoning just as he was about to collect $425,000 in lottery winnings had promised himself he wouldn't gamble anymore.
Ashur Oshana, a clerk at a 7-Eleven on Chicago's North Side, sold Urooj (oo-ROOJ') Khan two scratch-off tickets in June.
Oshana said Khan had been on hajj, a Muslim pilgrimage. Oshana said when Khan returned, he said he wanted to lead a better life and not gamble. But Khan bought the tickets anyway.
Oshana says Khan grabbed his hand and kissed it when he saw he won a $1 million prize.
Khan died in July. His death was recently ruled a homicide after a relative asked for an expanded investigation.
Oshana said he was shocked to hear that someone may have killed Khan.